Meet Mr. Braun, the man who puts waifus on old TVs

0
The anime fan community is filled with talented people who love to express themselves through a unique combination of art and fanaticism. One of these people is Mr. Braun, who usually puts characters on old television screens and posts the results through his Facebook page (I put waifus on a vintage TV). In fact, the Crunchyroll platform conducted an interview with this person who is described below:


Thank you for participating in this interview, we are very excited to learn more about your work. How did you start in anime and what was the first series you watched?
I started watching anime purely by chance. Many years ago my sister asked me to record one of the Pokémon episodes because it would be out that afternoon. So I prepared everything in advance and watched the series that aired before Pokémon, titled Fancy Lala. I also recorded that episode and continued to do so until the end.

Would you say that series is still your favorite or have you found some new series that interest you the most?
Yes, it is still one of my favorites because it influenced me a lot, since I kept watching series of the genre (magical girls) and I also enjoyed other similar titles, like Ojamajo Doremi and Cardcaptor Sakura. Of course, I also tried other genres, but the first series will always be special.

Given your love of anime, it makes sense that you wanted to do something creative for the community, but how did you come up with working with CRT TVs?
When I started my love for electronics, at eleven years old, my father gave me an old book that illustrated how the radio worked and the frequent problems with it. It was a book from the early 1950s, so of course it included things that are now considered vintage. The transition from radio to television was relatively easy, because my father and I had the same hobby.


How do you find material to work with this ancient technology? Having trouble finding the necessary parts?
The basic components are still produced, so unless there is a very specific failure or the parts stop producing, everything will be fine. If the problem cannot be solved with components on the market, the only possibility is to try to disassemble the original part and repair it.

Do you have a plan for when you run out of televisions?
I hope to continue finding some, otherwise I will have to repair plasma and LCD televisions, but that would be bad enough! However, since millions of CRT televisions were produced in the past, I think there will always be one out there.

Well, since you put waifus on TVs, we have to know, which one is your favorite?
Oh that's very easy to answer, obviously it's Makoto Kikuchi from The Idolmaster, it was love at first sight! And I am also very proud of not having another waifu, I am faithful to only one, not like others!

Do you have any other anime-related projects you're working on?
Currently not, but I have actively collaborated with cosplayers who need a vintage object as an accessory. Not only on television, but also on radios, walkmans, cameras, etc. Since those are tricky things, the photo shoot needs to be done near my area so that I can deliver them personally and not via shipping. And one day I would like to attend some convention and expose my televisions.

Are these televisions for sale? How can the community support your project?
No, my vintage televisions are generally not for sale. Occasionally I sell some '90s TVs to some retro gamers, but that doesn't happen often. For fans who want to support me, I have opened an account on the Ko-Fi platform, and I use that money to buy more televisions, equipment or spare parts.

Thanks again for your work. Is there something you want to add?
If I see you turning an old television into a dog's house or throwing it away, you better start running!


Source: Crunchyroll

You may like these posts

No comments