Oshi no Ko 'is not for everyone', warns the author

0


 On July 13, the artist Mengo Yokoyari mentioned that the popular manga " Oshi no Ko ", in which she is in charge of the illustrations, is being popular among children and adolescents . While she was pleased that the manga was accepted by this demographic, she mentioned, " I will feel more comfortable if they read it under the supervision and in the company of their parents ."



The original " Oshi no Ko " manga is written by Aka Akasaka and illustrated by Mengo Yokoyari , and serialized in the seinen demography magazine Weekly Young Jump . In the story, the protagonist is reborn as the son of a popular idol whom he also supported, but she is killed in front of her eyes and she begins to seek revenge.

In April this year, " Oshi no Ko " was adapted to anime, and after the final episode was broadcast, the production of a second season was announced. The opening theme song, performed by the well-known group YOASOBI , also became immensely popular.

In her post on July 13, Yokoyari mentioned that “Oshi no Ko” was becoming quite popular among children and adolescents, and she was quite grateful for the acceptance. However, she wrote: " The magazine is juvenile and has some extreme descriptions even for its target audience, so I think it would be safe for them to read it under the control and care of their parents ."

He added, " Basically, the art is pretty similar, but the content is very adult-oriented, so I think it's safe to wait until they're old enough to pick their own volumes ." And he concluded: « I would like those warnings to be added to the headband. Even so, I feel very grateful to all of you ».


Of course, this curious situation attracted comments from fans in Japan:

  • « I love Mengo-sensei's drawings, and in the past, “Retort Pouch!” He is my favorite, but I have the impression that many of his works are for adults ».
  • « I love Kuzu no Honkai. Thank you very much ».
  • « I think these things are very important. As in the case of “Kimetsu no Yaiba”, it is safer to say something like that when the intended audience is different from what you originally intended ».
  • Just in time, my daughter said she wanted to watch an anime because idols are popular in kindergarten, so I showed her YOASOBI's song on Youtube... My son saw his friends watching it and didn't like it. "
  • « My daughter's friend from kindergarten told me that she was watching it... she also wanted to watch anime... I've read the original, so for me it's ruled out, and the same goes for "Kimetsu no Yaiba", at least for children greater. I only showed him Aqua's dance part. By the way, my son, who is in sixth grade, found it interesting and scary at the same time, a little too early for him ».
  • « Some children find it good, others are sensitive to it, and even adults have a hard time with things they don't like. It seemed pretty extreme to me. The drawings are cute, so it's easy to get into it, but maybe you have to be careful ».
  • « I have a five-year-old son and he seems to be popular at his kindergarten, so I was surprised when they asked me: “Do you know Oshi no Ko?”. He surprised me when he asked me if I knew about that franchise, but I understood that nowadays everyone watches YouTube and so on ».
  • « You can easily put the anime with subtitles if they don't understand the language yet, but everyone forgets that it's published in a seinen magazine in the first place. They are not works that you should recommend to women and children ».
  • « In the past children read “Fist of the North Star” and “Dragon Ball”, what is the problem now? ».

Source: Otakomu

You may like these posts

No comments