Popular mangaka is not afraid of AIs

0

 


In a recent interview, renowned manga artist Oh! Great , famous for works such as “ Air Gear ” and “ Bakemonogatari ,” shared his thoughts on the growing use of artificial intelligence (AI) in creating illustrations. Oh! Great expressed his skepticism about AI's ability to make humans happy through art.

The artist commented that, ultimately, it all comes down to communication:

  • « When we talk to someone, we try to anticipate how they will receive our words, a kind of anticipatory telepathy. I think this skill is also necessary when drawing manga. Although I'm not a very good conversationalist in real life, I feel like I can push myself through the manga. However, in the current state, AIs do not possess the ability to generate emotions that make humans happy. That is, I believe that they cannot create in the true sense of the word. If anyone finds out the secret, please tell me! ».

 


According to Oh! Great, what really defines a great manga artist is not just the pretty drawings. The key is the ability to communicate with readers on a deeply human level through art. He pointed out that many successful manga artists are not necessarily the best cartoonists, but they succeed thanks to this human element that they incorporate into their works.

  • « Until now, perhaps I had not shown much of my true self in my work. Thinking about it, I think I subconsciously avoided doing it. But this time, I felt I had to show it. Manga is not just about technique or knowledge, but about the emotional and personal content of the creator .

Oh! Great emphasized that although AIs can replicate drawing styles and techniques, they lack the ability to understand and convey human emotions authentically. “ True artistic creation involves an emotional connection that AIs, in their current state, cannot replicate ,” he added. In short, Oh! Great invites us to reflect on the importance of emotional communication in art and how this human dimension is what really connects creators with their audience.

Source: Gendai Business

You may like these posts

No comments