As in KonoSuba, a cult wants to join the otakus to its ranks

0

On a comment board in Japan, a user shared an intriguing anecdote that took place recently in Ikebukuro. Recounting meeting him at the entrance to the Surugaya store, the subject described how he was approached by a woman who appeared to be interested in both him and the anime merchandise sold there .

However, what seemed to be a simple conversation about anime soon took an unexpected turn when the woman revealed her true intention: to invite the subject to join a religious cult . The story was as follows:

  • On July 23, around 3:00 p.m., I received a religious invitation (Buddhist, related to the Unification Church) in Ikebukuro. The place where I had such an encounter was the entrance to the Surugaya store (in front of the Sukiya restaurant). While I was waiting for my friend, a woman came up to me and asked, “Excuse me, do you sell anime products here?”
  • I thought it was pretty obvious that he was, considering the store's sign was huge, so I nodded. From there he told me several things: “I see, do you have a favorite anime?”, but he didn't let me answer. He immediately said, “I really like the anime, but I can't share it because everyone around me is busy with his work.” The conversation was totally one-sided, and I had no choice but to stand there listening.
  • But I felt uncomfortable with the conversation, I didn't know if he really liked anime or not, since many of his comments seemed generic to me, as if taken from a manual. When she finished speaking, he said to me: "I'm a little hungry, would you like to go to that restaurant over there?" I said no, I was waiting for a friend. But she insisted and said: “Come on, come on”, and when she made a disgusted face, she suddenly said: “Well, then please accept this brochure, it is about our religion”. It seems that my discomfort was noticeable, since an older woman approached me and asked me: “Do you know this woman?”, to which I immediately refused.

The curious anecdote definitely caught the attention of netizens, especially since this religious cult seems to be aiming to recruit manga and anime fans, also known as otaku . Others, however, pointed out that this definitely reminded them of a fun scene from KonoSuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World! .

Fans remembered the Axis Cult from this franchise, whose headquarters are located in the city of Alcanretia. Members have a habit of aggressively trying to convert tourists and many resort to cheating. As a result, members of the Axis Cult are labeled as "nuts in the head" to the general public.





And, of course, the news did not go unnoticed on the comment forums:

  • « I remember when they asked me every time I came to Ikebukuro to show the palm of my hand ».
  • Otakus are targeted because they tend to be reclusive and gullible... Passive people, like this guy, can't say no to a woman ."
  • « I know what happens. I too was about to be religious. Just when I thought I was picking up a girl on social media, he asked me to join a group ."
  • People tend to forget that Ikebukuro is basically unsafe ."
  • « I know someone who was a victim of this. Be very careful ».
  • « There was also a guy in front of Yokosuka station with a brochure about Mount Fuji and calling people. I think they do this all over the country. You just have to ignore them all ».
  • « Seriously, there are a lot of people like that in Ikebukuro! ».
  • « Today I was in Ikebukuro, so I was horrified! Be careful ».
  • « The one that does bad recruitment of otaku in Buddhism is the image of the Kenshokai. They are actually based in Saitama. That's why you should be careful when you buy anime products ».
  • « I really want you to be careful with this. They ask very vague questions at first, so it's best to be wary and defensive from then on. It is best to ignore them and move on from them ».
  • « Everyone! People who look dangerous basically don't understand a word we're saying, so run away! ».

Sauce: Otakomu

You may like these posts

No comments