What is a popular anime that you don't like?

0

 


Recently, a heated debate arose among members of a forum on Reddit around an intriguing question: “What is a popular anime that you just couldn't enjoy after watching it?” . This discussion has generated a wide range of responses, revealing the various reasons why some viewers fail to connect with certain anime despite their widespread popularity.

 


Among the series mentioned by users are titles that have enjoyed great critical and commercial acclaim, but which for some simply failed to meet expectations . The reasons behind this phenomenon are varied and complex.

One of the most common reasons cited is the discrepancy between the expectations created by the popularity of the anime and the actual experience when watching it. When an anime is extremely popular, it tends to generate high expectations in new viewers . However, these expectations are not always met, which can lead to disappointment. Viewers might expect flawless storytelling, deeply developed characters, and high-quality animation, and when one of these aspects doesn't live up to expectations, the disappointment can be greater due to the anticipation built up.

Another key reason is the variation in personal tastes. Just because a series is popular doesn’t mean it will align with every viewer’s individual preferences . Some users commented that while they recognized the quality of the animation and narrative, they simply couldn’t emotionally connect with the characters or the plot. Differences in preferred genres, animation styles, or even the type of humor can significantly influence the perception of an anime.

The issue of anti-popularity bias was also highlighted. There is a tendency among some viewers to avoid or reject something simply because it has reached a high level of popularity . This phenomenon, sometimes referred to as the “contrarian effect,” is based on the idea that if something is enjoyed by the majority, it must lack the depth or quality one looks for in their personal choices. This type of bias can lead to a negative evaluation before even giving the series a fair chance.

Media saturation and excessive hype also play a role. When an anime is very popular, it is present everywhere: social media, discussions, recommendations from friends, etc. This omnipresence can lead to a feeling of exhaustion even before you start watching it. Furthermore, excessive hype can inflate expectations to unattainable levels, resulting in a viewing experience that feels less satisfying compared to the anticipation created.

  • « Unpopular opinion. I honestly couldn't stand Komi Can't Communicate. She was tired of people saying she was so down to earth when people with social anxiety would never be as popular as that girl. And the inability to speak is not the same as social anxiety either. A good example of realistic social anxiety would be Watamote .

  • Nanatsu no Taizai, without a doubt ."

  • « Take a shot every time you read Jujutsu Kaisen in this thread ».

  • My girlfriend is happy, because of the razones ."

  • « I really can't get into any long shounen. I absolutely hate the tropes of over-explaining everything as if the viewer couldn't understand it without help. It feels like low-quality writing, you never heard of “show, don't tell . ”

  • « I liked how Hitorri Bocchi handled social anxiety. From constantly needing to make sure they are still her friends and remember her to over-planning for unimportant things like them visiting her house. AnoHana also sucks . »

  • « Thank goodness someone else thinks Anohana was melodramatic trash. If you watched it when you were 10-13, I get it . »

  • « Who the hell thinks Komi-san is even remotely realistic? The entire series is completely absurd. I didn't quite understand the hype that was given to Vivy Fluorite Eyes Song. It seemed good to me and I finished it, but I wasn't enthusiastic about it .

  • « One Piece, I have a life to live ».

  • « I can get a ton of shit for it, but One Piece. I've been told to watch it by tons of people, so I watched 20 or so episodes and could never really enjoy it .»

  • « As a huge One Piece fan, I understand. A lot of fans tell people they have to go through Arlong Park because “that’s where it gets really good!” But that’s over 40 episodes. No one should sit through 40 episodes just to get to the “good part .”»

  • « That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime. Even for an isekai, there are no stakes. The protagonist is OP right away and never fights or faces any real threats. And five episodes in I still hadn’t found a single character I cared about. So if there are no stakes and no interesting characters, there’s no reason to watch it . »

  • « Fire Force. Of course, the girl with the fire cat kept losing her clothes to the point where I thought she was a satire of fanservice. But I did not care. What bothered me was the guy with the fire sword. “Why am I losing? I am using the sword with the wrong hand”… What? No, actually, what the fuck. How do you write all your characters to be so dumb that they would physically die if you left them unsupervised in the real world for more than two hours? She hurt me, especially because the action was beautiful .

  • « Shield Hero. The initial pitch of “this country hates the Shield Hero, but they can't kill him” was interesting. But the character himself was so bitter that it was unpleasant to watch, and so OP that there was nothing at stake. Not to mention that he alone started the fashion of slavery in another world .

  • « Blue Lock. As someone who loves football, seeing them create a team of only strikers irritated me no matter how insignificant the reason was. Plus, I don't like sports anime. It dragged on throughout the viewing and I got as far as episode 9 before I dropped it . »

  • « Demon Slayer, the cast is boring or somewhat annoying and the story is quite bland. The animation was bad for me. I did not continue after the first season ».
  • « I couldn't watch Boku no Hero Academia, it took too long to get to the main plot and I'm impatient .»

  • « One Piece. It's been going on for something like 1100 episodes but I couldn't stand it. I tried watching a few and eventually dropped it after about 200 episodes. No one can say I dropped it too soon . »

  • « For me it has to be Demon Slayer. It has a strong start, but as the plot progresses and the characters fade away, it's terribly boring and riddled with the most tired shonen clichés. I didn't bother watching beyond the red light district arc despite how amazing the production and animation are .»

  • « The Monogatari series. I got to 9 episodes and I didn't find any reason to care about anything .

  • « Naruto and One Piece. It is too daunting a task with so many episodes .

  • « Only Leveling, I have no doubts ».

  • « I dropped Jujutsu Kaisen during my first attempt, but when season 2 came out recently I gave it a chance again and really enjoyed it for some reason. Who knows, maybe I just didn't have the right mindset on my first try .»

  • « I tried so hard to like Cowboy Bebop. I watched it all, but it seemed like a chore. I know everyone loves it, but I just couldn't enjoy it .»

  • « Mine was Neon Genesis Evangelion. It's too slow and I don't really care for it, although the opening is legendary ».

  • « I'm probably going to be crucified for this, but I just couldn't handle Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, as I don't really understand what's so popular about it, I mean, the action scenes are great with the superpowers like the hamon and the stands and those things, but other than that just a lot of really ridiculous things I just don't understand at all how are the flashy clothes everyone wears? The constant sexual actions and innuendos? All the silly, crazy actions and decisions the characters make? I've seen a lot of ridiculous anime that I can at least understand where they're going, like Gintama and Food Wars, but Jojo's…. I don't understand at all what makes them popular ».

  • « Demon Slayer, I tried to force myself to watch it twice and it was absolute torture, there is literally not a single original thing, just recycled shonen tropes with good animation, I really tried to watch it but I couldn't, I even almost tried a third time but decided to stop trying altogether ».

  • « Mushoku Tensei the fan-service literally makes the show practically unwatchable I can see a good story but every episode has fan-service, just disappointing .»

  • « For me it was Shingeki no Kyojin. I tried to see the hype, I endured the entire first season thinking that maybe there would be something at the end that would hook me, but nothing. So I left it after the first season .

  • « Re:Zero probably. I got halfway through S2. I understand what people are able to take away from it, but I'm not one of those people . »

  • « Dr. Stone. The premise of the series is excellent, a series in which the characters reconstruct humanity using science. That's why I love Ascendance of a Bookworm. But what turns me off about the series is how shonen it is. The screams, the smiles, the logic of a senseless young man (ohh... I can't stand seeing my girl naked, so I'll dress her before I revive her. I don't know how to revive her from a dream of a thousand years!). I don't know what happened after this since he left the series after a few episodes. What baffles me is why this series has more than 1 season. I guess it attracts someone .

  • « 86: Eighty-Six, I was just bored, I don't understand why he is so loved and highly valued. Maybe he wasn't in the right mindset, or maybe he's just not my type? I never saw the second part ».

  • « I tried Bocchi the Rock!, I liked him a bit more, but I don't think he was my type either. He had his good moments though .»

  • « Serial Experiments Lain is my lowest rated anime. Too slow. The only reason I didn't give it a 1/10 is because I liked the last episode and the art direction was interesting »

  • « I couldn't get into Black Clover because the protagonist's voice was too deep and didn't fit him very well. Maybe he's going through puberty at the beginning of the anime? I'm not sure . »

  • « Mashle… None of the jokes seemed funny to me. He seemed very forced .

  • « I tried to watch Steins;Gate about three times, but I couldn't get past the first few episodes. I'm supposed to like it because I love time travel anime, but I found the story and characters boring .»

  • « Solo Leveling… I wanted to like it, and I thought the first two episodes were great, but the middle and last episodes, where you just level up, didn't seem that interesting to me. I preferred it when interacting with others or in a group dynamic (I enjoyed the S-level hunter story a little more), which is ironic because it's SOLO Leveling .

  • « To Your Eternity. It felt like they killed people for the sake of killing people, not because their deaths really mattered, not even to the characters involved .

  • « Mashle. Terrible premise, terrible character. I hated it. I watched two episodes and was done . »

  • « I tried so hard, and got so far (8 episodes) in Nichijou, but I eventually gave up. I'm sorry, I don't find that kind of humor funny. It's just not my thing, I guess .»

  • « Soul Eater. Great animation – I found everything else unbearable .

Source: Reddit

You may like these posts

No comments